Jun 29, 2005

Human nature...

Left to himself, would one man help another in distress? Without the bounds of religion, of nationality, of race, of sex, of creed, of geography, would a man, as an individual help another man who is in distress? I would say "yes". I think for a normal rational human being, like you and me, it is but natural to help another person who is in distress, we can share what little we have, we can atleast temporarily put another person out of misery...especially if that misery is caused by a unprecedented natural calamity.

Why then when it comes to giving aid to Tsunami victims does the US or any other nation in the west, think, debate, argue, explain, that they cannot do more than what they have. Why then do politicians in India, sympathise, visit and click photographs of themselves at the disaster sites, but yet think a 100 times before they can do something about it. Of what use is tax payer money if it were not fully and constructively utilised to help our brethren?

We hurt ourselves with the infrastructure that we have set up, we hurt ourselves more with the national boundaries that we have drawn...it is all our own doing. Why do you think NGOs accomplish so much in India? Coz, GOs are caught in a web of red tapism accompanied by greed. When i vote in a democracy, i am voting to preserve my standard of living, i am voting to better my life and the life of people around me. Of what use is democracy, if i cannot get help when my whole life's earnings, my land- my only piece of sustenance for generations, is wiped out and for no fault of mine!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sunil said...

A very thought provoking start to a blog!
Will visit again.

June 29, 2005 8:37 PM  
Blogger Concentriccircle said...

Thanks for dropping by! It is always nice to see new people around. As I indicated on your blog, I think your blog on the plight of little girls forced into the flesh trade was very good.

June 30, 2005 6:34 AM  
Blogger nin said...

nice posting......take care....

June 30, 2005 4:59 PM  
Blogger Concentriccircle said...

avik, thanks for dropping by...see you around.

June 30, 2005 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home